Latin American and Iberian Studies Master of Arts Theses
Helena C. Barreto . "The Life and Times of Fernão Carrilho: A Seventeenth- Century ‘Bandeirante’ of Northeastern Brazil."
Elizabeth Sheldon Greider. "A Case Study of Two Urban Middle-Class Families of Oaxaca, Mexico."
Suzane Avellano. "Social Conditions and Political Aspirations of the Black Community in Cuba’s Early Republican Period."
Daniel Anthony Smith. "Siku Ensemble Music in the Urban Environment: Tradition and Change in the ‘Turgurios” of Lima, Peru."
- Jeanine Anne Mendoza. "Membership in the Portuguese Military Order of Santiago, 1668-1706."
- Timothy Karsten Braatz. "Challenging the Myths: the Revisionist Movement in Mexican-American Historiography."
- Ilia Rodriguez. Qual Exam
- Teresa Berenhauser Fernandes. "Literary Tradition and Translation: Cummings in Brazil."
- Sean S. Fromson. "The Andean Cocaine Trade: the Destabilizing Effects of a Criminal Industry in Colombia, Peru, and Bolivia."
- Miguel Angel Reyes. Qual Exam
- Dongyang Hsieh. "Land Reform in Chile, 1965-1989."
- Michael Mcloughlin. Qual Exam
- Julianna Cecilia Krolak. "The Influence of American Oil Companies on the Mexican Revolution of 1910."
- Kristin Braun. Qual Exam
- Peter Haws. Qual Exam
- Douglas M. Goodner. "Of Women Seen But Not Heard”: The Spanish Women in Bernal Díaz del Castillo’s Chronicle of the Conquest of New Spain."
- Mark Hjerpe. "The Evolution of the Land Reform Movement in 20th Century Mexico."
- Lillian Flores. "The Paradox of Elite Coalition and Party Formation: A Comparative Study of the Argentine and Uruguayan Political Systems."
- Paul William Moncrief. "The Rise and Decline of the PRI: The Emergence of the PAN and its Impact on Democracy in Mexico."
- Adriene Pilon. "Chile: The Art of Mourning."
- Vasco Sena. Qual Exam
Laura Suzanne Weingarten. "Writing for Self-Discovery: Two Mexican-Jewish Women Explore Their Complex Identities."
- Monica Landeros. "Las Cristeras: A Socio-Historical Analysis of Women in the Cristero Rebellion, Mexico 1926-1929."
- Michele Lipka. "Filmmaking and the Making of Revolution: Jorge Sanjines, the Ukamau Group, and the New Latin American Cinema."
John Patrick Lyons. "Amaro Velho Cerqueira: A Life in the Service of the Portuguese Crown in the South Atlantic in the Seventeenth Century."
Tina Marie Perez. "The Life and Times of Constantino Barradas; Fourth Bishop of Brazil (1603-1618)."
- Maribel Roxana Roldán Pérez. "Narratives of Five Guatemalans Residing in Washington, D.C.: Uncovering Through Life Histories the Importance of Cultural and Religious Traditions of Immigrants in the United States."
- Anna Belinda Sandoval. "Anguish, Fear, and Motherhood: Madres Angustiadas in the Guatemalan Post Civil War."
- Rafaela Acevedo Field. ""Let the Dead Rest": The Inquisition Case of Gaspar Mendez de Pineiro, Deceased Crypto-Jew in New Spain, 1642-1649."
- Edwin López. "Race and Revolution: Indigenous Peasants and Reform in Guatemala, 1944-1954."
- Gregorio Luna. Qual Exam
- Ana Rivadeneyra. "Poor Women's Struggles Against Gender Inequality: A Case Study from Urban Venezuela."
- Claudia Terrill. Qual Exam
- Amy Vogel. "Blaming Burnham for Guyana’s Decline."
- Marcelo Warkentin. "The Nationalization of the GermanRussian Mennonite Schools in Brazil, 1930-1945."
- Vanessa Ziegler. "The Rise and Fall of Fulgencio Batista in Cuban Politics."
- Elena Olivera. "We Belong to the Land: Access and Ownership in Southern Colorado."
- Yolanda Swoopes-Jiménez. "The Brazilian Popular Church and its Role in the Formation of Black Consciousness in Brazil."
- María Carmen Lozano Ibañez. "The Sounds of Immigration: Cultural and Legal Discourse in Spanish Pop Music and Las Leyes de Extranjería (Spanish Immigration Laws)."
- Amelia Maureen Layne. "Communicative Competence in the University Language Classroom.”
- Anil Mukerjee. "The Provedor-Mor da Fazenda in Colonial Brazil: Lourenco de Brito Correia (1659-1662)."
- Graciela Reynosa. "The Corrido as a (Re)Interpretation of Mexican Society: Los Tigres del Norte as Socio-political Discourse."
- Michael Efren Peyron. "Devotion or Dissatisfaction?: Lucas Alamán and the Catholic Church."
- Mary Aileen Seliger. "El Exilio y sus Angeles Enigmáticos en la Narrativa de Cristina Peri Rossi y de Juan Goytisolo."
- Kevin P. Smith. "Here I Stand! Don Carlos of Texcoco, the Inquisition, and the End of Aztec Resistance, 1539."
- Matthew A. Tompkins. "Evangelical Protestantism in a Highland Maya Community: Reshaping the Religious, Social, and Economic Landscape of Santa Clara La Laguna, Sololá, Guatemala."
- Ryan Alaniz. "Addiction to the Bean: Guatemala's Historical Dependency and the Current Coffee Crisis."
- Jason Brian Ford. "Alternative Representations of Sexuality in Post-Franco Catalan Cinema."
- Heathe Kiger. "Relationships between Socioeconomic Status and Disordered Eating Among Latin American Women."
- Flor Martinez. "The Testimonies that Bring to Light the Struggles of Activist Women in El Salvador: Nidia Diaz and Maria Teresa Tula."
- Omideh Miri . "Barriers to Educating Deaf Students: The Roles of Culture and Stereotypes."
- Raul Reynoso. "Assisting Globalization: The Use of Foreign Aid for the Expansion of Capitalism in Latin America."
- Cari Williams.""Coisas de Negro" Alem do Pitoresco: The First Afro-Brazilian Congress of 1934."
- Ricardo Alvarez Jr. "Liberal Conservatism: Lucas Alaman's Assessment of Agustin de Iturbide, Miguel Hidalgo, Jose Maria Morelos, and Vicente Guerrero."
- Elizabeth Gonzalez."The "Maquiladora Murders" of Ciudad Juarez: The Truths of Being Employed in a Maquiladora."
- Craig Harmelin. "Parental Attitudes Toward a Southern California Spanish-English Two-Way Immersion Program."
- Fernando Magallon. "The Changing Landscape of Production and Labor Organization in Kings County Dairy Farms: From Family to Immigrant Labor."
- Rene Marchington. "Locating la Santera: Lucumi and Gender in Havana, Miami and Los Angeles."
- Amy Alton. "Invisible Zapatistas: Women's Work Outside the Ejercito Zapatista de Liberación Nacional."
- Karen Aburto. "Exiled in Los Angeles: An Oral History on the Chilean Family Experience."
- Brenna Avinelis. "Racism and Interracial Marriage: Case Studies in Santa Barbara and Hollywood."
- Luzmaria Cabral. "Mujer, Casos de la Vida Real: Educating Through the Pleasure of the Telenovela."
- Cristina Fuentes. "Ellas: Relaciones de poder entre personajes femeninos de cuentistas mexicanas del siglo XX."
- Anabel Gutierrez. "Reconsidering Mexican Immigrant Entrepreneurship: A Case Study of the Eastside of Santa Barbara."
- Alison Goodwin. "Eugenio Dittborn and the 'Airmail Paintings': Remembrance in Chile after Pinochet."
- Andrew Leonard . "The Historical Transition of the FARC: From Marxist Insurgent Guerrillas to Bolivarian State Competitor."
- Karen Luna. "Salvadoran Men's and Women's Testimonios: A Gender Analysis of Historical Claims of Truth."
- Orland Yates. "Black Gold and White Elephants: Energy Policy and Foreign Debt in Brazil and Mexico of the 1970s."
- Claudia Johnson. "From Colonial Hell to National Purgatory: Racial Exclusion in the Evolution of Cubanidad."
- Megan Lange. "U Ch'abal, Una Voz, Another Voice: Words, Education, and Identity in Guatemala."
- Nicole Pacino. "La Hormiga Contra El Elefante: Copper Mining in Ecuador and the Transformation of a Small Andean Community - The Case of Junin."
- Steven Pent. "Bridging the Urban-Rural Divide: Mobilization and Citizenship of a Peruvian Peasant Organization."
- Mario Valadez. "Em Macau a galinha fala com o pato: The Rise and Role of the Jurubacas (Sino-Portuguese Interpreters) in the Far East, 1524-1699."
- Larisa Veloz. "Nuestros Recuerdos: An Oral History Project about Mexican Migrant Women."
- Vanessa Ziegeler. "The Rise and Fall of Fulgencio Batista in Cuban Politics."
- Paul Bancroft. "Yo, si puedo: A Cuban Quest to Eradicate Global Illiteracy."
- Thomas Clark. "Taking the field: baseball hegemony in Latin America."
- Steven Lockwood. "Antonio Teles da Silva, Governor-General of Brazil 1642-1647: His Family, His Life, and Early Career."
- Amy Milner. "Community Development in Globalized El Salvador: A Case Study of Regalo de Dios."
- Zachary Mckiernan. "Making Memory Matter: The National Stadium of Chile and the Politics of Post-Dictatorship Memory."
- Yully Nieves. "Higher Education in Venezuela: From Conquest to 1900."
- Amy Rosner. "Hegemony, Culture, and Cinema: Fernando Solanas' Documentary Films as a Lens for Examining Radical Social Change and Popular Struggle in Argentina, 1968 and 2001."
- Benjamin Ruiz. "An Attempt to Develop a Cultural Methodology Useful in Introductory and Early Intermediate Portuguese Instruction."
- Thomas Torresgil. "Taking the Field: Baseball Hegemony in Latin America."
- Martin Garcia. "Green Card Commuters: A Labor Dilemma for Mexican American Border Workers in the Early Post-War Years."
- Natalie Hernandez. "Staging the Nation: the political context of ballet folklorico in the creation of Mexican national identity."
- Natalie Marie Rogers. "Staging the Nation: The Political Context of Ballet Folklóricoin the Creation of Mexican National Identity."
- Justine Meyr. "Study Abroad: Maintenance of Spanish Oral Fluency."
Linda Hall. "Confronting New Paradigms of Racism: Afro Communities in Pluranational/Intercultural Ecuador."
Robin Hoffman. "Agua de Briga: Cachaca's Role in Early Colonial Brazil."
Leah Russell. "Anything you can do I can do better: cooptation and agency within the AfroReggae cultural groups."
Lance Awbrey. "Chile: overcoming seemingly insurmountable odds to gain civilian control of the military."
Miguel Becerra. "Stereotypes of Afro-Peruvians through the media : the case of the Peruvian blackface"
Jeremy Simer. "Los Migueletes: Catalan Soldiers and the Negotiation of Identities and Power in Eighteenth-Century Spain and New Spain."
Mark Boelter. "Echo of Memory: Contentions of Reconciliation and Sites of Conscience in post-Pinochet Chile, 1990-2011."
Jenae Jordan. "Modern Argentine soccer in mass media imagery : sexuality, nationalism, and the female body in historical context"
- Cheryl Jimenez Frei. "Archetypes of the Veiled Other: Visual culture, travel literature, and the male gaze in the construction of the Spanish Morisca and the Peruvian Tapada, 1530-1900"
- Jorge Gonzalez. "The (Re)construction of Blackness in Costa Chica, Oaxaca: NGOs and the Making of an Afro-Mexican Ethnic Group."
- William Alexander Yankes. "Chile, una nacion resquebrajada desde su inicio: la incipiente novela "Cautiverio feliz del Mestre de Campo General Don Francisco Nunez de Pineda y Bascunan"
- Martin Jacinto. "Confronting Capitalist Globalization and Polyarchy in Oaxaca: An Assessment of the APPO Movement and the Prospects for Social Movements in Mexico"
- Jorge Cabrera. "Violent, Criminal, Illegal Immigrants" MS-13 - The Discursive Misrepresentation of a Global Gang."
- Brian Wiley. "The 2006 Penguin Revolution and the 2011 Chilean Winter: Chilean Students' Fight for Education Reform"
- Veronica Zavala. "¡Venimos a Triunfar! A Discourse Analysis of Spanish Language Radio Piolin por la Mañana"
- Angel Rodriguez. "Angel Ricardo, Infectious Imperialism : Race, Syphilis, and Human Experimentation in Guatemala City, 1946-1948"
- Marcus Cuellar. "Runners Left on Base: Cuban Baseball Defection Experience and a Reevaluation of Baseball Diplomacy"
- Kirstin Brown. "Leaving the Bubble: Understanding the Transition to Independent Living for Honduran Women in Government Care."
- Alexander Scarlett. "Assessing the Law of Social Quotas: A qualitative approach to the perspectives of black University Students in São Paulo."
- Salvador Garcia Vgigil. "The Institutional Imaginative of Revolutionary Land Nationalism as Mexico's Historiography and Literature from the 1930s to the 1980s."
- Thelma Patnett. "Alternate Memories Revealed: Afro Nicaraguan Women's Solidarity, Support, and Ambivalence to the Sandinista Revolution."